My book! Now available in paperback.
THE AUTISM REVOLUTION: Whole Body Strategies For Making Life All It Can Be. By Martha R. Herbert with Karen Weintraub. Ballantine/Harvard Health Publications, publication date March 27, 2012. ORDER NOW!
- www.autismWHYandHOW.org – Companion website to the book The Autism Revolution (www.AutismRevolution.org)
- Higher Synthesis umbrella website: www.highersynth.org
- TRANSCEND Research Program: www.transcendresearch.org
- Clinic website: www.bodybrainresilience.com
Papers are listed below by type, most with links to full text.
If you wish to look at the chronological order of the papers, newest first, you can go to my page on the Harvard Catalyst website.
6. Herbert MR. Autism. chapter in: Gilman S. Neurobiology of Disease (textbook). Elsevier, 2006.
7. Herbert MR, Caviness V. Neuroanatomy and Imaging Studies. in: Tuchman R, Rapin I eds. Autism: A neurobiological disorder of early brain development. Mac Keith Press, 2006: Chapter 8 pp. 115-140.
8. Anderson MP, Hooker BS, Herbert MR. Bridging from Cells to Cognition in Autism Pathophysiology: Biological Pathways to Defective Brain Function and Plasticity. Am J Biochem Biotech 2008; 4(2):167-176 . http://www.scipub.org/fulltext/ajbb/ajbb42167-176.pdf. Published as part of online issue on autism, http://www.scipub.org/scipub/detail_issue.php?V_No=173&j_id=ajbb.
9. Herbert, M.R., Anderson, M.P An Expanding Spectrum of Autism Models: From Fixed Developmental Defects to Reversible Functional Impairments Humana Press 2008 Autism: Current Theories and Evidence, pp. 429-463
10. Helt M, Kelley E, Kinsbourne M, Pandy J, Boorstein H, Herbert MR, Fein D. Can children with autism recover? If so, how? Neuropsychol Rev. 2008 Dec; 18(4): 339-66.
11. Herbert, M.R. Autism: The centrality of active pathophysiology and the shift from static to chronic dynamic encephalopathy Taylor & Francis / CRC Press 2009 Autism: Oxidative stress, inflammation and immune abnormalities, pp. 343-387
12. Herbert M.R. Contributions of the environment and environmentally vulnerable physiology to autism spectrum disorders 2010 20087183 Curr Opin Neurol 103-10. PMID: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20087183
13. Herbert, M.R. Environment and vulnerable physiology in autism. Supplement to European Neuropsychopharmacology (ENP), S.09.02, p. S177.
14. Herbert, M.R., Neuroanatomy in Autism. The Neuropsychology of Autism. Fein, D., ed. Oxford University Press (2011).
15. Herbert, M.R., A Whole Body Systems Approach to Autism. The Neuropsychology of Autism. Fein, D., ed. Oxford University Press (2011).
16. Corrales, M., Herbert M.R., Autism and Environmental Genomics: Synergistic systems approaches to autism complexity. Invited. Autism Spectrum Disorders (textbook). Amaral D, Dawson G, Geschwind D, editors. Oxford University Press (2011).
17. Herbert, M.R., SHANK3, the Synapse, and Autism. New England Journal of Medicine (Clinical Implications of Basic Research), 365:2. July 14, 2011, pp. 173-175.
18. Herbert, M.R., Autism: From Static Genetic Brain Defect to Dynamic Gene-Environment-Modulated Pathophysiology. Chapter 10 of Genetic Explanations: Sense and Nonsense. Krimsky, S. and Gruber, J. eds, Harvard University Press (2012). Full chapter with summary & book flyer
19. Herbert, M.R. and Sage, C. Findings in Autism Spectrum Disorders consistent with Electromagnetic Frequencies (EMF) and Radiofrequency Radiation (RFR). Posted on www.BioInitiative.org as part of the 2012 BioInitiative Report 5-year update. Version with bookmarks is available here; version posted on www.BioInitiative.org (section 2o, table of contents) is not tagged. See item #21 for peer-reviewed revised version published in Pathophysiology. Link to References pertinent to EMF-Autism-pathophysiology.
20. Herbert, M.R., Buckley, J.A. Autism and Dietary Therapy: Case Report and Review of the Literature. Journal of Child Neurology. 2013, Abstract at Sage Online First. Abstract on Pubmed.
21. Herbert, M.R. and Sage, C. “Autism and EMF? Plausibility of a Pathophysiological Link”. Part 1: Pathophysiology , 2013, Jun;20(3):191-209, epub Oct 4, PMID 24095003. Pubmed abstract for Part 1. Part II: Pathophysiology, 2013 Jun;20(3):211-34. Epub 2013 Oct 8, PMID 24113318. Pubmed abstract for Part II. Also, EMF reference resource: Searchable EMF references on Refworks Connections in our Environment: Sizing up Electromagnetic Fields by M.R. Herbert reviews key points in two pages; published in Autism Notebook Spring 2015, pp.. 24-25.
22. Herbert, M.R. Translational Implications of a Whole-Body Approach to Brain Health in Autism: How Transduction between Metabolism and Electrophysiology Points to Mechanisms for Neuroplasticity. Chapter 21 in Valerie Hu, Frontiers in Autism Research: New Horizons for Diagnosis and Treatment. 2014: World Scientific.
23. Goldman A. et al., 2015, Bioregulatory systems medicine: an innovative approach to integrating the science of molecular networks, inflammation, and systems biology with the patient’s autoregulatory capacity? Front. Physiol., 19 August 2015 | http://dx.doi.org/10.3389/fphys.2015.00225 Open Access
1. Herbert, M.R., D.A. Ziegler, C.K. Deutsch, L.M. O’brien, D.N. Kennedy, P.A. Filipek, A.I. Bakardjiev, J. Hodgson, M. Takeoka, N. Makris, and V.S. Caviness Jr. 2005. Brain asymmetries in autism and developmental language disorder a nested whole-brain analysis. Brain 128213-26
2. Herbert, M.R., D.A. Ziegler, N. Makris, P.A. Filipek, T.L. Kemper, J.J. Normandin, H.A. Sanders, D.N. Kennedy, and V.S. Caviness Jr. 2004. Localization of white matter volume increase in autism and developmental language disorder. Ann Neurol 55530-40
3. Herbert, M.R., D.A. Ziegler, N. Makris, A. Bakardjiev, J. Hodgson, K.T. Adrien, D.N. Kennedy, P.A. Filipek, and V.S. Caviness. 2003. Larger Brain and White Matter Volumes in Children With Developmental Language Disorder. Developmental Science 6F11-F22
4. Herbert, M.R., D.A. Ziegler, C.K. Deutsch, L.M. O’Brien, N. Lange, A. Bakardjiev, J. Hodgson, K.T. Adrien, S. Steele, N. Makris, D. Kennedy, G.J. Harris, and V.S. Caviness. 2003. Dissociations of cerebral cortex, subcortical and cerebral white matter volumes in autistic boys. Brain 1261182-1192.
6. Granpeesheh, D., Tarbox,J., Dixon, D.R., Carr, E., and Herbert, M.R. Retrospective analysis of clinical records in 38 cases of recovery from autism 2009 19917210 Ann Clin Psychiatry 195-204 PMID: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19917210
7. Isler, J.R., Martien, K.M., Grieve, P.G., Stark, R.I., Herbert, M.R. Reduced functional connectivity in visual evoked potentials in children with autism spectrum disorder. Clin Neurophysiol. Epub 2010 June PMID: 20605520
8. Goldman S., O’Brien, L.M., Filipek P.A., Rapin, I., Herbert, M.R. . Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders. Motor stereotypies and volumetric brain alterations in children with Autistic Disorder. 2013; 7:82-92. Free in Pubmed Central.
9. Khan S, Gramfort A, Shetty NR, Kitzbichler MG, Ganesan S, Moran JM, Lee SM, Gabrieli JD, Tager-Flusberg HB, Joseph RM, Herbert MR, Hämäläinen MS, Kenet T. Local and long-range functional connectivity is reduced in concert in autism spectrum disorders. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013 Feb 19; 110(8):3107-12 View in: PubMed Free full text at PNAS.
SCIENTIFIC REVIEWS AND COMMENTARY FOR THE PUBLIC
‘Ecofeminist Science and the Physiology of the Living Body’ in Somatics, Autumn-Winter, 1990.
‘Learning from the autism catastrophe: Key leverage points.’ Guest editorial, Alternative Therapies in Health and Medicine, Nov/Dec 2008, vol 14, no 6., pp. 28-30
‘Integrating Behavioral and Biomedical Approaches: A marriage made in heaven’ by Edward G. Carr, Ph.D.l and Martha R. Herbert, M.D., Ph.D., Autism Advocate, First edition, 2008
“Treatment-Guided Research: Helping people now with humility, respect and boldness.” Autism Advocate 50(1): 8-14
Defying Determinism with Healthy Living, by Martha Herbert. Genewatch 2013 Special Issue on Genetic Education. Council for Responsible Genetics.
Everyday Epigenetics: From Molecular Intervention to Public Health and Lifestyle Medicine. N A J Med Sci. 2013;6(3).
Autism: How it Works and How to Help Better. Metrodocs, Magazine of the Minnesota Twin Cities Medical Society, Sept-Oct, 2013.
Autism Challenges Us to ‘Think Different‘. The Orange County Register, 18 October 2013, Op-Ed Insert.
‘Removing Mercury from Vaccines in an Epoch of Error-Correction‘, Introduction to Thimerosal: Let the Science Speak, Robert F. Kennedy Jr., NY: Skyhorse Press, 2014. PDF includes table of contents and cover plus link to book’s website, www.thimerosalbook.com.
Connections in our Environment: Sizing up Electromagnetic Fields by M.R. Herbert (published in Autism Notebook Spring 2015, pp.. 24-25) reviews in two pageskey points of the more technical Herbert & Sage Autism-EMF paper above, #22.
NEWS COVERAGE and PRINTED INTERVIEWS
Letter to Editor of New York Times on Narrowing the Definition of Autism, January 27, 2012.
Autism: A brain disorder or a disorder that affects the brain? Teri Arranga interviews Martha Herbert. Medical Veritas 3 (2006) 1182–1194
TRANSCENDing the Gaps in Autism Research, Interview by Frank Lampe and Suzanne Snyder, Alternative Therapies in Health and Medicine, Nov/Dec 2007, Vol 13, No. 6